Ellisland Farm Robert Burns took up the lease of the farm at Whitsun 1788 but did not begin farming till 11th June that year. He brought his wife Jean Armour, and his two year-old son Bobby to Ellisland the following December.
Sons Francis Wallace and William Nicol were born at Ellisland Farm, and their half-sister Betty (fathered by the poet with Helen Anne Park of Dumfries) spent the first months of her life there too.
Burns shot to fame a few years earlier and had been touring the country as “the toast of Scottish society”. In 1788 he “resolves to lead a retired, domestic life” and he had also been in training for the lucrative and respectable post of an Excise Officer. A post had just become vacant in Nithsdale and by coincidence, one of his Edinburgh aquaintances Patrick Miller had just purchased the estate named Dalswinton. Dalswinton was a few miles north of Dumfries and also had three vacant farms. Robert was offered the first choice of the three.
Robert Burns described Ellisland Farm as “the poet’s choice” of the farms he was offered by Patrick Miller, his landlord. What he meant was literally that here he could find inspiration whereas he felt the other farms lacked soul.
At Ellisland Robert built his own house, a splendid six apartment house (described as a “modest mansion” by visitors in 1789) with views over the Nith. Ellisland is a national treasure as it is so unchanged and shows us exactly how Robert and Jean lived during the peak of their wealth and the height of his poetical inspiration.
The farm comprised of 170 acres with an orchard and Burns had 9 or 10 cows, including 3 fine Ayrshire cows; 4 horses and some sheep. The Ayrshire dairying system was introduced and cheese including ewe-milk cheese was made.
Poet Robert Burns was 29, in the prime of his life and at the peak of his powers, when he
came to Ellisland Farm in Dumfries and Galloway.
Some of Robert Burns' best-loved nature poems were inspired by the tranquil setting of Ellisland Farm.
Ellisland is now a popular museum and visitor attraction and it provides a wonderful insight into the life of Robert Burns on a farm two hundred years ago. Guided tours of Ellisland farmhouse and museum are always available.
Once the family had left Ellisland it passed to another tenant and in 1805 it was sold to a local farming family. That family owned the farm until 1921. Over the years they welcomed visitors to visit two rooms of the house which had been preserved. They also amassed a considerable collection of artifacts and manuscripts which today can still be seen at Ellisland.
In 1922 the farm was purchased by Mr George Williamson, a wealthy Edinburgh Wool Merchant who was an admirer of Burns. On his death the house, farm and its collection were bequeathed to the nation for the sole purpose of “The contemplation of the life and works of Robert Burns”.
The Ellisland Trust continues to manage the house and farm as a Museum and are supported by the voluntary group and charity “The Friend’s of Ellisland”.
Here you can see the original writings and possessions of Robert Burns and stroll along the idyllic Burns Walk beside the River Nith near Dumfries.
There is plenty to do for those who aren't fully absorbed Robert Burns enthusiasts! Beautiful walks along the river to Friar's Carse for a "wee dram", nature trails with panoramic views, BBQ facilities and a fine assortment of vintage agricultural implements.
Catering at Ellisland
Ellisland can provide various catering options to suit your needs. Just let us know in advance of your visit and we would be delighted to discuss the options available contact us.